POSITION: Finance Manager
ORGANISATION: African Parks – South Sudan
LOCATION: Juba & Bandingilo National Park, South Sudan
REPORTING TO: Park Manager
EXPECTED START DATE: As soon as possible
African Parks is a non-profit conservation organization that takes on the complete responsibility for the rehabilitation and long-term management of national parks in partnership with governments and local communities. We currently manage 22 national parks and protected areas in 12 countries covering over 20 million hectares in: Angola, Benin, Central African Republic, Chad, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, Mozambique, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Zambia, Zimbabwe and South Sudan.
Boma and Bandingilo National Parks are located in South Sudan’s equatorial region with a combined area of 30, 000 KM ². The parks host the second largest wildlife migration in the Africa that covers over 120,000 KM2, and provide habitat for large populations of hartebeest, buffalo, elephant, giraffes and lions.
The Finance Manager is responsible to oversee the end-to-end finance operations, financial planning and analysis, donor and partner management, establishing procedures and enforcing controls, preparing financial reports and maintaining the financial health of the organisation.
The incumbent will ensure that all financial compliance and audit requirements are met while ensuring that all financial data is accurately entered into our financial system. He or she will provide support and advice to senior management, and budget managers or on donor compliance issues and budget monitoring.
MAIN ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure the efficient and effective operation and maintenance of the organization’s day-to-day financial and accounting operations, as well as regular reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual and year-end).
- Ensure budgets and budgetary revisions are prepared in adherence with the relevant budget cycle.
- Monitor the timely submission of budgets by budget holders and undertake the revision of budget submissions to confirm they reflect as accurately as possible the financial impact of the proposed activities.
- Consolidate finalized budget data in the standard budget file.
- Generate revised budget codes based on the revised budget.
- Ensure the appropriate and up-to-date classification and documentation of budget information in paper and electronic format is in place.
- Prepare financial report by producing a draft for review by the Regional Finance Manager.
- Respond to queries from head-office on the financial reporting.
- Correctly classify the final financial reporting after feedback, both on paper and electronically.
- Undertake a period joint (at least quarterly) review of the management accounts with budget holders on the basis of agreed arrangements.
- Review transactions processed by accounts, cashiers and other finance team members.
- Deal with working capital management and production of cash flow forecasts.
- Continually identify risks to delivery, propose solutions where necessary and effectively manage stakeholder expectations throughout.
- Managing an end-to-end audit process of current systems – while acting as the first point of contact for external auditors.
- Perform monthly reconciliations for the closure of accounts.
- Ensure that all relevant donor directives, policies, circulars and procedures are readily available, streamlined and adhered to during grant planning, implementation and closure.
- Liaise closely with the Regional Finance Manager with regards to programs, and prepare and update a schedule for all reports to be submitted during the year.
- Ensure donor reports are prepared in a timely manner.
- Participate in joint period review of donor relations with budget holders, as planned.
- Perform budget eligibility tests against donor guidelines and requirements when developing the new budget.
- Represent the finance department in the process of developing new proposals or budgets.
- Ensure that there is appropriate and up-to-date documentation in both paper and electronic form, regarding the budget and donor reports.
- Regional Operations Manager
- Park Manager
- Regional Finance Manager
- Heads of Department
- Internal and External Auditors
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience in a similar role, with a preference of two (2) years with a conservation or non-profit organization;
- A degree in accounting and full ACCA or CIMA with five (5) years of experience;
- Previous experience with any donor-funded programs or external audits;
- Results-oriented and focused, with the ability to follow guidelines and controls required of the position;
- Expert knowledge in budgeting, financial analysis and MS Excel;
- Proficiency with accounting software;
- Demonstrated team player with effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills;
- High level of integrity and impeccable record in previous accounting positions.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communications skills in English. French will be an advantage;
- Strong capacity to manage time and competing priorities;
- Strong initiative, perseverance, and resilience; and
- Willingness to live in a remote setting and with previous experience living in Africa.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to [email protected] by Tuesday, 4th October 2022. Please mention the position name in the subject line of the email.
In case you do not hear from us within two weeks after the closing date, this means that your application was not successful. We thank you for your interest in working for African Parks.