Solidarity with South Sudan Chief Financial Officer.pdf (220.3 KB)
Solidarity with South Sudan was founded in 2008 in response to the needs in conflict-affected South Sudan and at the invitation of the Sudan Catholic Bishops Conference (SCBC). Solidarity is a collaborative commitment of religious institutes of men and women. Solidarity comprises a head office in Juba and four field offices / sites in South Sudan. The four field offices are: Wau (Health); Yambio (Education); Riimenze (Agriculture) and Kit (Pastoral).
Role location: Juba, South Sudan
Solidarity is seeking a qualified accountant for the role of Solidarity Chief Finance Officer (SCFO) reporting to the Executive Director.
The SCFO is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day financial and operational transactions for Solidarity activity. He/she will ensure compliance with all policies and procedures related to Finance, Operations Procurement and Management, Office Administration. S/he will promote strong collaboration between teams and contribute to a learning environment in which personal, professional and team growth is supported.
The following comprise main responsibilities:
- Providing leadership, direction and management of the accounting team
- Ensuring appropriate financial controls and reporting systems are in place and operating effectively.
- Providing financial / operational / strategic recommendations to the Executive Director and members of the Finance Committee
- Managing the processes for financial forecasting and budgets, and overseeing the preparation of all financial reporting
- Advising on long-term business and financial planning
- Reviewing finance, HR and IT related procedures
The daily work of the Solidarity Chief Financial Officer (SCFO) shall be supervised by the Executive Director or his delegate, and the SCFO will report to the Executive Director and the chairperson of the Solidarity Finance Committee.
The SCFO the various Solidarity ministries and communities with budgeting and in keeping sound financial records with monthly reconciliation of transactions. The SCFO shall attend meetings of the Finance Committee of the Governing Board to report on financial and related matters.
The SCFO manages the finance team comprising of two further finance administrative staff. The SCFO will work in conjunction with a Finance Consultant (based in Rome). The SCFO will consult regularly with the Rome office accountant to ensure accurate tracking of operating expenses and fundraising ensuring consistent financial reporting across the organisation.
The SCFO also consults regularly with the Solidarity Fundraising Director to ensure that there is good communication of up-to-date financial information on income and expenditure.
The SCFO shall provide monthly reports on the financial management of all sites, as well as other financial reports as requested, and attend the South Sudan Management Team (SSMT) meetings for the section discussing financial operations.
Other responsibilities include
- Preparation of financial reports for the Governing Board, as and when requested by the Executive Director
- Ensure appropriate systems are in place for the production of regular management accounts and cash-flow reporting
- Manage receipt of monthly financial inputs from sites. Record in the Solidarity general ledger ensuring expenditure at each site in South Sudan is recorded and reviewed. Appropriately allocate spend to agreed donor codes, and/or against the appropriate sources of those funds.
- Provide such donor reports as will be required from time to time, by the Director of Fundraising for reporting back to donors
- Working / cooperating with the appointed auditors throughout the annual audit process
- Ensure adequate controls are established and operating effectively. Ensure that substantiating documentation (including information received from sites) is approved and available such that all transactions may pass independent and governmental audits
- Ensure appropriate purchasing policies and procedures are in place
- Manage and training the accounts administrators in Juba Office, and at other sites as required, to ensure the administrator is appropriately skilled to carry out all day-to-day finance related activities
- Assist the Rome Office and the Fundraising Director in the production of sound financial reports and proposals, to support fundraising activities.
- Provide periodic reports and suggestions as needed on HR / Payroll / IT / Insurances,
- Qualified CPA or equivalent professional qualification
- Min. 3 years’ professional practice
- Ability to work in team
- Familiar with Quick Books Online Accounting package
- Ability to work within a Catholic Church Organization
- Available to start work in January 2022
How to apply
Send detailed CV and copies of all relevant professional certificates, plus details of references to
The closing date is 6th December 2021
Successful candidates will be acknowledged and shortlisted