AIPMS 107 : DIPLOMA IN DISASTER MANAGEMENT FROM 8TH JANUARY TO 30TH JUNE 2018
Africa Institute for Project Management Studies (www.africadevelopmentresources.org) is an organization that was founded in 1999 as a capacity building expert and a development think tank that proposes solutions for development problems facing third world countries with a big project portfolio in Africa.
We have delivered timely and professional capacity building services to a wide variety of organizations in the development sector. These include donor organizations, Government agencies, co-funding agencies, International and local NGOs, Government agencies and private sector firms. We have conducted successful consultancies for many organizations.
This integrated course defines humanitarian response within the framework of an understanding of development, with vulnerability and disaster risk reduction as an integral part of development. This programme recognizes the vulnerabilities faced by the poor and marginalized and the disproportionate impact of disasters endured by them in the developing world. In this programme, the study of disaster risk reduction, disaster response and post-disaster recovery will be grounded in the values of justice, equity and social inclusion. This course addresses all stages of disaster management in a comprehensive and holistic manner; including:
- Pre- disaster preparedness and mitigation,
- Rescue and relief in the context of disaster and
- Post disaster rehabilitation, reconstruction and recovery.
This Diploma Course in Disaster Management is designed to impart domain knowledge, capacities and skills to:
• Demonstrate a critical understanding of key concepts in disaster risk reduction and humanitarian response
• Recognize issues, debates and challenges arising the relationship between paradigm of development and disasters
• Critically evaluate disaster risk reduction and humanitarian response policy and practice from multiple perspectives
• Develop an understanding of standards of humanitarian response and practical relevance in specific types of disasters and conflict situations
• Critically understand the strengths and weaknesses of disaster management approaches, planning and programming in different countries, particularly their home country or the countries they work in, and
• Respond to disaster risk reduction initiatives and disasters in an effective, humane and sustainable manner.
This Course is designed specifically for development organizations.
After they have read the material for each unit, students are expected
to test their own Learning by completing some relevant exercises and
Assignments: There are ten assignments
(continuous assessment tests) and one examination to be offered at the end of the course. Assignments and Continuous Assessment Tests account for 70% while Examination accounts for 30% of the mark. Upon completion of the course you shall be issued with a
Diploma Certificate and a course transcript.
Certificate and Transcripts will be sent after successful completion of the course
DURATION AND COURSE LOAD: 24 Weeks - 5 to 6 hours per week
Course Period: Six Months Course
Course Starts 8th January 2018
Course Ends 30th June 2018
REGIONS TARGETED: Global
COURSE: FEE: $800
ORGANIZERS: Africa Institute for Project Management Studies (AIPMS)
LANGUAGE: English only
FORMAT: Distance Learning facilitated