RE: ONLINE TRAINING COURSE IN KOBOTOOLBOX
Delivery Mode: E-learning (Online/Web-based/Self-paced)
Course Fee: KES 30,000 OR USD 300
Course Details: Mobile Data Collection Using KoboToolbox
Registration: Register online here
About this course
In the past, data collection was performed using paper and pen, which made it prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
ICT tools such as mobile devices and software that allow users to create surveys, collect, manage and upload data to storage facilities in real-time have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection.
One of the commonly used tools is KoBoToolbox . KoBoToolbox has been used to observe elections, monitor rainforests, track outbreaks, conduct one-off surveys, rapid assessments, baseline studies, project mid-term evaluation, project end-term evaluation, market research, during and directly following disasters and in many other cases.
This course is a hands-on, step by step guide that will teach learners how to setup, administer and manage a mobile based data collection platform using KoBoToolbox.
Who should take this course
This is a hands-on course for anyone who wishes to learn how to set up a mobile-based system to collect, manage, analyze and map data.
About the instructor
The instructor is a seasoned implementer of mobile-based data collection systems in custom android apps, ODK, KoBoToolbox, CSEntry, ona.io, Survey CTO, Magpi, Mobenzi among others.
What is KoBoToolbox
KoBoToolbox is a suite of free and open-source tools for field data collection using mobile devices for use in challenging environments. Most of KoBoToolbox users are people working in humanitarian crises, as well as aid professionals and researchers working in developing countries.
What can you do with KoBoToolbox
- Build complex forms with skip logic and validation using KoBoToolbox Form Builder or XLSForm (XLSForm is recommended for larger forms)
- Collect data offline on a mobile device and send it to a cloud server.
- Map data
- Visualize, manage and analyze data
- Store collected data on a server and extract it in useful formats for analysis
This online training course in Mobile Data Collection using KoBoToolbox will teach learners to:
- Build/design complex forms with skip logic and validation in KoBoToolbox Form Builder and in Microsoft Excel (XLSForms syntax)
- Easily share projects with colleagues
- Design, Import and export XLSForms
- Collect data online/offline on mobile devices or on any browser
- Create summary reports with graphs and tables
- Visualize collected data on a map
- Disaggregate data in reports and maps
- Export data
- Access collected data through an API
At the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Setup an account in KoBoToolbox
- Digitize any complex questionnaire to a digital form that can be used for data collection on mobile devices and on browsers.
- Visualize, manage and analyze data in KoBoToolbox.
- Map data in KoBoToolbox.
- Collect data on mobile devices and browsers
- Extract data from KoBoToolbox for analysis.
- Basic computing skills
- A mobile device running Android OS
- Knowledge in Microsoft Excel
- Access to the internet
- Proficiency in English
Introduction to mobile data collection
- What is data collection?
- What is mobile data collection?
- Benefits of mobile data collection
- What is KoBoToolbox?
- Setting up an account in KoBoToolbox
Introduction to survey authoring in KoBoToolbox
- Introduction to data types
- Introduction to the KoBoToolbox Survey Form Builder
- Basic survey authoring (text, number, select one, select many, decimal, date, date/time, note, photo, audio, video, acknowledge, required, hints, Geo data (point, appearance, line, area) )
Advanced survey authoring
- Grouping questions
- Skip logic
- Specify others
- Other data types (Rating, question matrix, ranking, range, file)
- Cascading select
- Testing the form logic
- Deploying forms for data collection
Data Collection, management, analysis and mapping
- Setting up a mobile device (Downloading KoBo Collect and device calibration)
- Working with the data collection app
- Uploading data to the server
- Data management
- Data analysis
- Extracting data in different formats
Additional course information
Module 6 (Optional)
Need more information? Visit this link to see answers to frequently asked questions.
How to participate
Customer Relationship Officer,
Tech For Development
Innovation for impact