COURSE: GIS Mapping Training
This training introduces students to both the social and technical aspects of digital mapping. Students will learn fundamental concepts and techniques in cartography and GIS, including file types, data classification, projections and coordinate systems and elementary analytical techniques in a range of desktop and web-based mapping platforms. In addition to providing the fundamental technical competencies necessary to create maps, students will develop the critical awareness required to effectively communicate complex social processes through maps. This course comprises 10 modules, each with their own learning objectives and target deliverable. Modules consist of an applied “hands-on” lesson. Each module lesson is then followed by a weekly assignment that asks you to complete a related task culminating in a map product and/or dataset. These assignments are due the following Sunday by midnight.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
• Define and differentiate between variety of spatial data models and formats
• Explain and apply the basics of representation in GIS, including using vector and raster data formats, determining appropriate geographic coordinate system for a given spatial data file and applying the appropriate geographic projection to a map type and spatial scale
• Manipulate geospatial datasets (e.g. cleaning, joining, querying, extracting)
• Apply appropriate thematic map symbology to represent geographic phenomena
• Produce static map products that integrate multiple data types and analytical methods
• Obtain geospatial data from a variety of online sources and integrate into mapping processes
• Integrate desktop GIS procedures with web-based mapping platforms
EVENT FEE & REGISTRATION
The training event fee is USD2100. This caters for Facilitation, 2 Refreshment breaks (Morning and Afternoon Snack) and Buffet Lunch during the entire training period.
This fee does not cover accommodation and travel logistics. We can organize for your Accommodation and Airport pick up at an Extra cost.
To Register online for this course click on this link (REGISTER ONLINE).