Call for Expression of Interest [EoI] for External Audit
17th February, 2016.
STEWARDWOMEN is a National Non-Governmental Organization founded in 2009 and registered with the government of South Sudan to address the problems of sexual and gender based violence; harmful customs on women and girls; child labor and trafficking; community insecurity and conflicts; and poor governance. The organization is managed by a Governing Council and a Board of Directors. We are in search of an experienced external auditor of international reputation to undertake financial audit of the organization for the financial period ended 31st December 2015, in accordance with the statutory requirements, international reporting standards and guidelines of auditing.
Scope of the Assignment:
The audit will be conducted in accordance with the relevant donor guidelines. The audit for financial year 2015 will focus on five projects funded by the MamaCash Foundation, Pact Inc., Cordaid, the Embassy of France in South Sudan and Dan Church Aid. The auditor will pay special attention to the following:
- Whether the project funds were used in accordance with the donor requirements, and consonant with the cooperative agreements;
- Whether goods and services financed have been procured in accordance with the relevant procurement procedures and as required by the cooperative agreements.
- Whether the relevant and necessary supporting documents, records, and books of accounts have been kept and in line with the standard accounting system. Or whether there is a clear linkage between the accounting records and the financial reports prepared and shared with the donors.
- Whether the designated accounts have been used and maintained in accordance with the provisions of the relevant general conditions and cooperative agreements.
- Whether the accounting records have been prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and practices and relevant to donor guidelines. The auditor will be expected to give a true and fair view of the financial position (resources and expenditure) of the organization as at 31st December 2015.
- Whether there was compliance to the financial covenants as per the cooperative agreements with the donors.
The external auditor (s) will express an objective opinion on STEWARDWOMEN’s financial statements and prepare a “Management Letter," that will highlight the following among others:
- Comments and/or observations on the accounting records, systems, and internal controls that were examined during the audit;
- Deficiencies or weakness in the accounting systems and internal controls and make recommendation for improvement;
- Compliance to each financial covenant in the relevant financing agreement;
- Matters that have come to their attention during the audit which might have a significant impact on the operations of the organization; and
- Management’s comments on the audit report.
Deliverables and timeline:
The external audit is expected to be conducted in the 3rd week of March 2016 and the final report presented to the Board of Directors during the 2nd quarter meeting in April 2016. The audit firm shall first submit a draft audit report to the Executive Director in both hard and electronic copies duly signed within seven (7) days upon completion of assignment. The final audit report shall be submitted to the Executive Director in five (5) hard copies and an electronic version within seven (7) natural days on receipt of the management’s comments.
Location of Assignment:
The assignment will be carried out at the STEWARDWOMEN head office in Juba located at Cecelia House Plot № 1400 Juba, Na Bari.
Duration of Assignment:
It is expected that the examination of the books of accounts, supporting documents and the cooperative covenants will take five working days, in accordance with the South Sudan statutory regulations and the audit requirement.
The Lead Consultant- external auditor should be an internationally qualified accountant or auditor (with qualification of CPA, ACCA or its equivalent) with experience in donor accounting and with NGOs, multiple project auditing and financial management, and a minimum of five years’ experience. The audit firm must have strong knowledge and experience in performance and system audit. Applicants are expected to suggest total fees for the assignment in the EoI.
Qualified audit firms should send (via e-mail) EoI and comprehensive profile of the audit firm to [email protected] or [email protected] addressed to “The Executive Director, STEWARDWOMEN”, by close of business hours on Friday, 11th March, 2016. Only successful applicants will be conducted.
By Esther Inyakua Irama
For Chairperson Board of Directors, STEWARDWOMEN