Tearfund is looking for a Country Director for its South Sudan Programmes, to play a vital role in our mission of following Jesus where the need is greatest, responding to crises and partnering with local churches to bring restoration to those living in poverty.
The Country Director (CD) is responsible for leading, managing, funding applications, representing and setting the overall direction of Tearfund’s strategy, partnerships, programmes, networking, advocacy and influencing work in line with key attributes forTearfund’s work in South Sudan. Based in Juba, the CD ensures that the country’s strategy implementation is in line with Tearfund’s vision, corporate priorities, policies and procedures. As the most senior representative of Tearfund for the country, the CD is responsible for high-level representation to other NGOs, UN agencies, Government, the Church, donors and strategic networks. The CD is also responsible for envisioning and strengthening the Church, advocating with national authorities, participation in Integral Mission and influencing change in churches, government, society and countries in line with tearfund’s vision, strategy and corporate priority areas. The CD has overall responsibility for security management and health and safety for Tearfund staff within the country.
Key accountabilities among others include:
- Provide strong strategic and visionary leadership to the country teams by promoting a management culture that is supportive, empowering and collaborative.
- Build, lead and manage high performing and diverse teams by creating an environment that enables staff to maximise their full potential and facilitates high performance
- Understand the local and global funding context and identify appropriate and strategic funding opportunities to increase income for delivery of the country programme Strategy.
- Accountable for the effective and efficient use of Tearfund’s financial resources; transparent management and reporting of all income streams and compliance with restricted funding processes and contractual obligations
- High-level representation to other NGOs, UN agencies, Government, the Church, donors and strategic networks.
- Envisioning and strengthening the Church, advocating with national authorities, participation in Integral Mission and influencing change in churches, government, society and countries in line with tearfund’s vision, strategy and corporate priority areas
To be successful, you’ll need the following:
- Degree and/or equivalent qualification in a development or management related discipline
- Extensive proven experience of working at a very senior level with strategic leadership, people management and financial accountabilities. A track record as leader of a Country Programme in an international development organisation is desirable.
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Track record of developing strategic and operational partnerships with different levels of government, donors, private sector, INGO’s and other actors in the sector.
- Track record of securing funding from high-compliance donors (standalone and/or in consortia), and working with the donor throughout grant delivery
- Proven application of good practice standards: SPHERE, Core Humanitarian Standard and Red Cross Codes of Conduct.
- Experience in managing organisational growth and change and guiding/leading an organisation through a period of transition
- Ability in working with local church-based organisation and humanitarian disaster management
If the above describes you, we will love to hear from you. Please find the Job Description attached.
Applicants must be committed to Tearfund’s Christian beliefs. The recruitment process will include specific checks related to safeguarding issues. In addition, personal identification information will be submitted against a watchlist database to check against criminal convictions as a counter terror-terror measure.