Imatong Employment Solution is working with Saferworld to recruit for an Analysis and Outreach Manager for the Conflict Sensitivity Research Facility.
Location: Juba, South Sudan
Reporting to: CSRF Director
Management responsibility: Research Advisor (Juba)
Type of position: International/National Position
Grade and Salary: TBC
Contract terms and hours:
Probation: There will be a probationary period of three months
Holidays: 28 days holiday a year in addition to relevant public holidays
R&R: 5 working days per 10 weeks in Juba, a regional flight with USD 500 allowance (international hires only)
Hours: The standard working week is 40 hours.
Housing: Accommodation will be provided (international hires only)
Saferworld is an independent international organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. We work with people affected by conflict to improve their safety and sense of security, and conduct wider research and analysis. We use this evidence and learning to improve local, national and international policies and practices that can help build lasting peace. Our priority is people – we believe in a world where everyone can lead peaceful, fulfilling lives, free from fear and insecurity. We are a not-for-profit organisation operational in 12 countries across Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
The Conflict Sensitivity Resource Facility (CSRF) supports the integration of conflict sensitive principles and practices into donor strategies and donor-funded programming in South Sudan. Funded by the British, Swiss, Dutch, and Canadian donor missions, the programme is implemented by a consortium of NGOs led by Saferworld that includes swisspeace and the REACH Initiative.
Conflict sensitivity is a programming approach that emphasises strong contextual analysis and programmatic flexibility to minimise aid’s negative consequences and maximise its positive impacts. This approach is particularly important in volatile, conflict-affected contexts where inadequate understanding of conflict and political dynamics can lead to donors and implementing partners inadvertently exacerbating the conflict. The CSRF is implementing a five-year contract which runs from January 2019 to December 2023. The Analysis and Outreach Manager will play a critical role in developing the CSRF’s analytical products and its outreach activities, as well as supporting the development of research and the team’s internal analysis of the context. The successful applicant will play a key role in leading external discussions on analysis products and contribute to the CSRF’s efforts to influence aid programming around conflict sensitivity issues that leads to observable changes in how organisations work and how aid is being delivered. The post-holder will be employed by Saferworld.
• Produce and support the production of regular and on-demand analysis.
• Oversee the development, production, and review of CSRF-led research projects.
• Manage the CSRF’s outreach activities, supporting the tailoring of information products to reach more audiences through more platforms.
• Lead the CSRF’s donor reporting.
• Support the ongoing development of the CSRF strategy and other work streams.
• Manage the CSRF Research Advisor and coordinate with the technical support provided by swisspeace and the REACH Initiative
• Support and lead on different thematic issues relevant to conflict sensitivity in South Sudan.
Roles and responsibilities:
In coordination with the CSRF Team, the Analysis and Outreach Manager will:
Analysis Support and Oversight
• Lead on developing and producing both regular and on-demand written analysis for both donor and public consumption related to conflict sensitivity risks and opportunities in South Sudan.
• Provide briefings and presentations to a range of audiences on the South Sudan context and CSRF work, either directly or by supporting team members.
• Support, review, and edit analysis produced by other CSRF team members.
• Develop relationships and partnerships with a range of actors and institutions in South Sudan to identify demand for evidence, possibilities for collaboration and support uptake of recommendations.
• In coordination with the swisspeace Senior Research Advisor, contribute to the design and implementation of research projects, including the development of ToRs and research plans, the recruitment of external consultants/researchers and supporting the researchers as needed.
• Support the production of research reports and briefing notes and ensure documents are of high quality and provide relevant and actionable recommendations for policy makers and operational agencies.
• Work with the swisspeace Senior Research Advisor and the Research Advisor to develop and implement dissemination plans for completed research.
• Lead the CSRF’s outreach activities, including the development of outreach/dissemination plans for CSRF analysis and research products.
• Support the development of a strategy to improve sharing of information, analysis, tools, and lessons learned.
• Tailor information products to reach more audiences through more platforms, including web-based.
• Coordinate and participate in one-off or regular roundtables and events to promote analysis and responses.
• Support external meeting planning, in South Sudan or regionally.
Reporting and Documentation
• Lead on compiling the CSRF quarterly reporting requirements.
• Support the design or redesign of CSRF public products and milestone deliverables.
• Support the Better Learning Advisor in the collection of data for monitoring & evaluation and learning & reflection.
Staff management and coordination with swisspeace and the REACH Initiative
• As the CSRF is a small team, the successful candidate will be a team player and able to wear multiple hats when needed. S/he will coordinate well with the other CSRF team members and work to draw and apply lessons across the programme.
• Day-to-day management of the CSRF Research Adviser, in coordination with the Switzerland-based Senior Research Advisor (with potential increases to line management responsibilities over time).
• Identify, manage and support external consultants delivering short-term inputs into research and analysis.
Key working relationships:
• CSRF Juba based team members
• swisspeace and the REACH Initiative staff
• Donor focal points
• Key selected Cluster members
Scope and accountability
Decision making and limits of authority
The Outreach and Analysis Manager is responsible for managing the analysis and outreach activities of the CSRR, as well as supporting the CSRF research activities. S/he leads on designing and implementing analysis and outreach activities, and ensures they are relevant the CSRF’s priorities and Theories of Change.
Technical/editorial responsibility for CSRF documents
1 position with with potential increases to line management responsibilities over time.
Legal, regulatory and compliance responsibility
Safeguarding compliance for consultants and independent researchers contracted by CSRF
Knowledge, qualifications and experience
• A Master’s degree in relevant field with commensurate professional experience.
• Demonstrated experience conducting both desk and field-based analysis, preferably in South Sudan.
• Experience working in humanitarian aid, development or peacebuilding sectors
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the South Sudan aid sector, including donor coordination mechanisms, UN Agencies and NGOs (national and international)
• Experience managing teams, including remote management
Skills and abilities
• Excellent (fluent/native) English writing skills including editing and reviewing research and analysis.
• Strong oral presentation skills.
• Demonstrated analytical skills
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work with consortium based in different countries and time zones.
• Ability to work independently or with little supervision.
• Strong ability to work in teams and collaborate on projects with a diverse team.
• Strong networker and effective at outreach, both online and in person.
• Ability and willingness to travel to the field (subnational) level in South Sudan and comfort in extremely basic environments.
• Ability to plan and work within agreed timeframes
• Ability to demonstrate initiative and work well under pressure.
• Ability to manage budgets and handle administration and finance tasks for self at minimum.
Include standard requirements for all roles (e.g. safeguarding, diversity, cpd). May also include one or two personal qualities that are relevant to the role and don’t relate to skills and abilities)
• Sense of humour
• Enjoys networking and influencing
• Commitment to and compliance with Saferworld’s safeguarding principles
• Commitment to respect and value equality and diversity, and understanding of how this applies to own area of work
• Commitment to own continuing personal and professional development
• Commitment to the vision, mission and values of Saferworld
Any other role specific requirement e.g. requirement to travel and frequency of travel
• Travel to remote locations in South Sudan will be required
Application process (handled by Imatong Employment Solutions)
• Please submit a detailed CV and an application letter with an explanation as to why you would be the best candidate for the position and why you would like to work with CSRF.
• Please ensure you include contact details for three references; one of these should be your current employer.
• Applications must be submitted by 28 February 2020 by email to [email protected] Please indicate the position you are applying for in the email title. For hard copy applications please contact +211 927 631 981 strictly during office hours only.
• Only short-listed candidates will be contacted, by e-mail or by phone.
Saferworld is committed to providing a safe and trusted environment that safeguards our staff, partners and communities. Our organisational integrity is derived from the values and principles that underpin and guide our work.