The significance and importance of evaluating vulnerability and adaptation strategies is that it identifies and measures the level of the short- and long-term threats (natural disasters, climate change) and the ability to cope with these threats, guides and supports decision-making, government policies, planning, international aid and investment, helps and orientates processes for deciding on priorities in strategies and initiatives to reduce vulnerability and adapt and, finally, for defining and applying measures aimed at reducing present and future vulnerability.
This training is intended to guide and support participants whose activities seek to support and strengthen capacities of participants in the UNFCCC process, particularly in the domain of vulnerability and adaptation.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The training is intended for professionals working in projects related to climate change, vulnerability analysis, adaptation, mitigation and response.
By the end of the training, participants will among other concepts gain a deep understanding of:
- Terminologies in climate change vulnerability and adaptation
- Concepts, frameworks, methodologies and tools for vulnerability and adaptation assessments
- Vulnerability and Adaptation: From theory to practice.
- Be involved in Practical exercises relating to climate change
Module 1: An introduction
- Objectives, methodology and structure of the workshop
- Vulnerability and adaptation: An Introduction
- Glossary of terms and concepts
- Background Paper on International Debates in Climate Change Policy
- Background on frameworks, methods and tools for vulnerability and adaptation assessments: How to move from reactive to proactive approaches.
- Vulnerability and Adaptation
Module 2: Concepts, frameworks, methodologies and tools for vulnerability and adaptation assessments
- Concepts, frameworks and methodologies for vulnerability and adaptation assessments
- Inventory of tools for vulnerability and adaptation assessments
- Vulnerability: The tragedy of natural disasters
- The consequences of vulnerability: Aid and Reconstruction
- The implications of vulnerability: The social impacts resultant from disasters (1 mins 34)
- Toolkit for Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessments
- Background on frameworks, methodologies and tools for vulnerability and adaptation assessments: How to move from reactive to proactive approaches
- Vulnerability and Adaptation Bibliography
Module 3: Vulnerability and Adaptation: From theory to practice.
This module includes a series of practical case studies on different issues, sectors, regions and/or countries. It demonstrates how to apply different methodological frameworks, concepts, methods and tools.
Case study 1: From the assessment of vulnerability to decision-making: Natural disasters and climate change in Central America
Case study 2: Vulnerability of coastal areas and climate change: The example of Senegal
Case study 3: An evaluation of the vulnerability of agriculture and adaptive strategies aimed at achieving food security in the Sahel: The example of the Niayes in Senegal
Case study 4: Food Security and Climate Change: Building Adaptation Strategies for Bangladesh.
Case study 5: Water resource management strategies in response to climate change in South Africa: Specific focus on municipal water in arid regions.
Module 4: Practical exercises: Objectives and organization
This module offers a series of practical exercises and applications covering a variety of themes. It walks participants through the theoretical aspects of vulnerability and adaptation assessments to their practical implementation. These practical exercises should be done in groups (balanced in terms of interest and expertise).
Objectives and organization of practical exercises
Working Groups’ reports (prepared by each group)
Group work exercises
Exercise 1: Food security and climate change
Exercise 2: Vulnerability indicators
Exercise 3: Multi-criteria analysis for the identification of national adaptation strategies
Module 5: Conclusions and lesson learned: Errors to avoid
This last section contains a critical analysis of all the lessons learned and the errors to avoid, based on case studies and practical exercises.
- Conclusions: Errors to avoid
- Course evaluation
EVENT FEE & REGISTRATION
The training event fee is USD$1050, This caters for Facilitation, 2 Refreshment breaks (Morning & Afternoon Snack) & Buffet Lunch during the entire training period. This does not cover accommodation and travel logistics. We can organize for your Accommodation & Airport pick up at an Extra cost.
To Register online for this course click on this link (REGISTER ONLINE) or click on this link for more details (MORE COURSE DETAILS)