JOB VACANCY: Community Workers (2 positions)
AVSI Foundation is a global non-governmental organization with headquarters in Italy. Its mission is to support human development in developing countries according to the social teaching of the Catholic Church: recognizing the uniqueness of each person, who as such cannot be reduced to a number within an anonymous category such as “the poor, the sick, and the disabled”. Furthermore, every person and every community represent a resource, regardless of their vulnerability. This is why AVSI works to help people in becoming aware of their own value and dignity. AVSI is operating in South Sudan since 2005, implementing medium to long-term sustainable health, education, water & sanitation, food security and emergency relief programmes.
The organisation is now seeking to recruit suitable qualified South Sudanese nationals for the positions of community worker.
Duty Station: Kapoeta South County
Aim of the Position: Community worker’s (CW) role is to oversee social and community engagement activities and education programs included in AVSI’s Comprehensive Cholera-Prevention Response in Education in Kapoeta and Magwi project funded by UNICEF in Kapoeta and Magwi Counties, Kapoeta State and Imotong State, South Sudan.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Follow up the condition of the children beneficiaries included in the project.
• Carry out regular follow-up and monitoring in schools (child friendly spaces).
• Carry out regular follow-up in villages/children’s homes of non-reporting pupils enrolled in the programme and/or of any specific issue/case regarding children included under the project activities.
• Suggest/develop interventions to address the beneficiary’s needs.
• Support the distributions of items for the children beneficiaries.
• Support the Wash Specialist during the organization and the implementation of the awareness campaign (i.e.: lifesaving, hygiene promotion, health, cholera prevention).
• Carry out activities to promote community involvement in education, regular attendance and participation of children at the education programs with special attention to girls.
• Liaise with Headmasters and teachers of the targeted schools and all the other local partners that emerge during activities.
• Submit to the Wash Specialist regular report and data collection concerning activities carried out.
• Compile forms and reports about the children for both internal use and external distribution.
• Contribute to the development of assessment tools used to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the needs of vulnerable children in the area of intervention.
• Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
• Diploma in Education or education related course
• Four (4) to 5 years work experience with NGO or in the Education public sector
• Responsible, willing to learn, able to follow procedure and rules, social and gender awareness, empathy, team oriented, conscious of developmental issue at local level, able to understand people problems within their specific social and human background, committed to life betterment of disadvantaged population
• Knowledge of the National Education system
• Aware of the Health system of the country and national Health problems\challenges
• Understanding of the main development problems in the poorest area of the country
How to Apply:
Applications should include updated nonrefundable Curriculum Vitae (CV), National ID and cover letter. In the cover letter (of no more than two pages in length) the candidate should briefly describe his or her motivation for the position and highlight relevant experience.
The above documents can be delivered to AVSI Office in the Country:
• AVSI Juba Office
• AVSI Torit Office
Or send in soft copy to [email protected] OR
[email protected], only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
THE CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS IS September 14th 2017
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Due to the urgency of these roles, AVSI reserves the right to shortlist applications prior to the closing date.