Tech For Development - T4D would like to invite you to a high impact Training Course in Mobile Data Collection for M&E using ODK and KoBoToolbox to be held in Nairobi, Kenya from 21st to 25th May 2018.
Registration: Register here
Venue: Tech For Development Training Center, Nairobi, Kenya.
Event Date: 21st to 25th May 2018.
Course Fee: KES 75,000 OR USD 1,100
THIS COURSE IS SUITABLE FOR PEOPLE WORKING IN
Impact Evaluation, Monitoring and Evaluation, Academic Research, Market Research, Field Research, Agriculture, Health, Education, WASH, Handicapped, Human rights, Emergencies/disasters, Advocacy, Education, Environment, Small business development, Community development, Rural development, Women, Youth, Population, Rehabilitation, Culture, Capacity Building, Appropriate technology, Income, generation, Private sector, Refugees/displaced
Data collection and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) have always been an integral part of development work. In the past, these tasks were performed with paper and pen, which made them prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
ICT tools such as mobile devices and software that allows users to create surveys, collect, manage and upload data to storage facilities in real-time, have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection and M&E.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage and analyze project data using mobile devices, this training course is for you. This training course also comes with additional M&E and GIS modules to help participants put the skills acquired into perspective. The GIS module will help participants work with spatial data.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The course is designed for representatives from government, project teams, NGOs, multi and bilateral development organizations, consultancies, etc., that are typically employed as project managers and directors, M&E specialists, technical specialists, and researchers.
The course will introduce participants to tools and techniques to gather data for project/programme outcomes to stakeholders using innovative Mobile data gathering tools.
At the end of the course, you will become familiar with using ICT tools and methods to conduct data collection, statistical analysis, and reporting.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Introduction to the course
- M&E Refresher
- ICT refresher
- Introduction to mobile data collection systems architecture.
- Introduction to common mobile based data collection tools, techniques and platform.
- Benefits of mobile data collection.
- Challenges of Mobile Based Data Collection.
Introduction to Survey Authoring/Digitization
- Introduction to xlsforms syntax for survey authoring - Digitizing questionnaires for ODK using xlsforms.
Intermediate Survey Authoring/Digitization
- Intermediate survey authoring: Digitizing questionnaires for ODK using xlsforms.
Advanced Survey Authoring/Digitization
- Advanced survey authoring: Digitizing questionnaires for ODK using xlsforms.
- Questionnaire logic.
- Xlsforms troubleshooting
- Converting xlsforms to XML
- XML forms validation
Survey Data Hosting
- Setting up an Apps Engine Account
- Setting up ODK aggregate server in a cloud server.
- Setting up ODK Collect for Mobile data collection.
- Uploading XML forms to ODK Aggregate
- Hosting platform quota management.
- Data Visualization and analysis on ODK Aggregate.
- Downloading/extracting data from ODK Aggregate for analysis.
- Mobile device calibration for data collection.
- Managing data collection in the field
Mobile Data Collection Using KoBoToolbox
- How to digitize questionnaires using an easy web-based interface.
- Hosting data on KoBoToolbox.
- Setting up KoBo Collect for mobile data collection.
- Mobile device calibration for data collection.
- Visualizing and analyzing data on KoBoToolbox.
- Downloading/extracting data for analysis.
Module V (GIS)
- Introduction to GIS
- Working with Spatial data (GPS Coordinates)
- Introduction to Fusion Table
- Exporting GPS Coordinates (Google maps) to Fusion tables
- Exporting data to Fusion tables using QGIS
- Converting data to shape files
- Choice of Platform
- Discussion on the Choice of Platform
- Integrating Mobile Data Collection tools into projects
This instructor led training course is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web-based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a certificate of participation.
The course fee is KES 75,000.00 or USD 1,100.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
SIMILAR UPCOMING COURSES