Tech for Development -T4D would like to invite you to a high impact Training Course in Introduction to GIS to be held in Nairobi, Kenya from 12th to 16th March 2018.
Course Name: Introduction to GIS.
Venue: Tech For Development Training Center, Nairobi, Kenya.
Event Date: 12th to 16th March 2018.
Course Fee: KES 75,000 OR USD 1,100.
Online Registration: Register here.
GIS is becoming an increasingly important tool in environmental management, retail, military, police, tourism and many other spheres of our daily lives. If you use a computer or a cell phone, you have probably already used a GIS in some form without even realizing it. Maybe it was a map on a website, Google Earth, an information booth or your cell phone telling you where you are. Proprietary GIS software (software that cannot be freely shared or modified) is available that will let you do everything we describe in these worksheets and a lot more. However, this software is usually very expensive or otherwise limits your freedom to copy, share and modify the software. GIS vendors sometimes make an exception for educational activities, providing cheaper or free copies of their software.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Individuals who are new to GIS (no prior GIS education or workplace experience with GIS).
At the end of this training course, participants will be able to:
- Use online resources to quickly create a GIS map.
- Describe two common data models used to represent real-world objects and phenomena in a GIS.
- Evaluate geographic data for use in a GIS mapping project.
- Explore a GIS map and access information about map features.
- Visually analyze feature relationships and patterns on a GIS map.
- Create queries to find and select features that meet specific criteria.
- Prepare a GIS map to share information and present analysis results.
Topics to be covered
What is GIS?
- How a GIS works
- What can you do with a GIS?
- Discover, use, make, share
- Introducing an online GIS
- Using a GIS
- Defining GIS
What is GIS data?
- Vector geometries
- Vector information
- Raster basics
- Data storage
- Which data to use?
- Choosing data models
Navigating a GIS map
Moving around a map
Data and layout view
Moving around a map layout
- Info tools and attributes
- Attribute query basics
- Location query basics
- Creating queries
- Querying maps
This scheduled course can also be tailored for your organization. To find out how our tailor-made training can help your organization, call our team on Tel: +254 706909947, +25429166479.
How to participate
Register as individual.