This five (5) days training course explores how new information-, communication- and mapping technologies can be practically used to respond to disasters, augment situational awareness, improve relief coordination and much more.
The digital revolution is changing disaster response. From the earthquake in Haiti to Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, the Ebola outbreak in West Africa and the recent earthquake in Nepal, a range of new tools can help national and international organizations respond faster and more effectively.
Some of these tools can help you complete your work faster and fewer mistakes some enable you to summon remote support on the fly in the middle of a disaster. Yet other tools help you make sense of the vast amount of information that is available and that can threaten to overwhelm you.
This course looks at a variety of real world examples from organizations working in the field and analyzes some of the key challenges related to access, implementation, scale, and verification that these new technologies can present. The course is designed to assist professionals in developing concrete strategies and technological skills to work amid this rapidly evolving landscape.
After the course, participants will be able to:
• Critically analyze both the opportunities and the pitfalls that emerge when working with technology to respond to crises
• Connect relevant development and humanitarian approaches to the technological strategies and tools discussed in the course
• Manage specific software platforms and utilize various technological tools for responding to and managing crises
• Design dynamic and effective strategies for using technology platforms and tools to respond to challenges in the field
• Develop confidence and critical self-awareness in working with social media, maps, and mobile technologies
• Participants will have access to all course content for at least 4 months after course completion so the material can be completed and revisited later.
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request to a minimum of 4 participants. You can have it delivered in our training centre or at a convenient location.
How to participate
For further inquiries, please contact us on Tel: +254 715 077 817, +254 (020) 211 3814, +254 731240802, +254 735331020.
Email [email protected]