Training Course on Technology for M&E /Research Using Open Data Kit (ODK) in Kampala from 8th to 11th February, 2017
Open Data Kit (ODK) is a set of open source applications which allow one to create a questionnaire form in the Xform format, fill it out on a mobile phone or tablet running the Android operating system, store and view the aggregated information on a central server, and retrieve the aggregated data to one’s computer for analysis. Data capture includes GPS coordinates for real-time mapping of responses in Google Maps, or near-real time once the surveyor has an Internet connection to send the collected forms back to the server. Whether you’re a seasoned mobile apps user or new to mobile apps especially for data collection, this course will allow you to quickly get grips on with ODK for both simple and more complex tasks during your data management process. This course also plays a vital role in minimizing both time and resources used right from data collection all through the data management process and also make analyses easier. The Participants will also be introduced to KOBO as a Platform for designing tools, collect data, store and analyze data.
If you have the following questions, then ODK training is the Answer
• How do I Improve my organization’s ability to collect high quality field data?
• How do I Increase access to my organization’s field data by making data available for analysis in real-time?
• How do I eliminate unnecessary costs such as questionnaire printing costs, cost of hiring data entrants, cost of purchasing Expensive devices?
• How will do I collect multiple data types (GPS, audio, video, bar-codes, structured survey data etc) using a single device?
• How do I collect and store data in real time?
• How do I easily analyze data using in a shortest time possible?
• How do I report in real time?
1. To enable the individual to create X-forms compliant questionnaire using three different applications which will include skip logic, graphical questions, cascading question types, input value control, multiple languages, media and geo-location input.
2. To enable participant to install and manage a central server on the Windows platform to aggregate the data or use one of the free on-line storage services.
3. To enable the participant learn how to set the various parameters of the Android application for optimal usage.
1. Introduction to mobile phone data collection
2. Setting up aggregate server with Google App Engine
3. Uploading the form to aggregate & send to Android phone
4. Designing & building a form using ODK build
5. Setting server preference on android phone
6. Data collection
7. Submitting completed data to aggregate server
8. Exporting data from ODK aggregate as CSV
9. Importing ODK – CSV file into statistical applications
10. Exporting GPS data for Mapping/Visualizing (fusion map)
By the end of the Training, the participants should be able to:
1. explain the purpose of ODK
2. use each of the tools of ODK set of applications
3. create a questionnaire form using three different applications
5. read and modify and/or debug a form in its XML format
6. download, use and set the parameters of ODK collect for optimal use=
7. incorporate advanced form features such as picture questions, cascading, repeat groups, multilingualism, calculated variables, photo and sound variables, and graphic annotation
8. geotag forms and visualize them on a map
Training Fees: Ugandans: 450,000 UGX and International Participants: 200 USD.(This caters for break, materials and lunch only): To be confirmed for this Training, participants should pay their fees before the Training.
Venue: JICA Hotel-Ntinda
For whom the course is intended: It is intended for individuals and organizations that want to ease their data collection, analysis and reporting process.
Duration: This is a 4 days training program.
Benefits: 95% practical sessions, Certificate of completion, networking and follow up after training.
Pay before 15th/Jan/2017 to benefit from 15% discount.
Those Paying in UGX can pay through
Account Name: Maarifa Consult
Bank: Stanbic Bank
Account Number: 9030010504731
Branch: Ntinda, Branch
Account Type: Uganda Shillings Account (UGX)
You can deposit cash or write a Check in the Name of “MAARIFA CONSULT”
Those paying in USD can pay through
Account Name: Maarifa Consult Ltd
Bank: KCB Bank
Account Number: 2203269251
Account Type: USD Account
Branch: Forest Mall, Kampala
You can deposit Cash or pay in Check in the name of “MAARIFA CONSULT LTD”
Note: After Payment, please send a proof of payment to the email below
How to Apply
Interested individuals can apply through the website http://www.maarifaconsult.com/register-now/
or send an email requesting for a registration form to: [email protected] or [email protected] Telephone: +256702361213