Food insecurity and disasters are directly related; therefore, institutions dealing with food and nutrition security should be prepared for such adversities and device means to respond. Relief aid institutions also play part in maintenance of food and nutrition security in emergencies by providing relief aid. Food aid is all about providing food and related assistance to tackle hunger, either in emergency situations, or to help with deeper, longer term hunger alleviation and achieve food security. Thus, this training programme is designed to enable participants gain skills on how to prepare, measure, and respond to nutrition emergencies to sustain food security.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is intended for various actors in Agriculture Extension (Agricultural extension officers, senior agricultural officials and policy makers) working with communities, in governments, funding agencies, Research organizations and non-government organizations among others for Agriculture support activities and other Development programmes.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
• Understand classification of emergencies in particular famine and food crises. Food insecurity and malnutrition and how these have shaped operational response and practice.
• Explore food and nutrition security context with use of frameworks.
• Use quantitative and qualitative methods to assess and monitor the food and nutrition security situations.
• Study concepts of vulnerability, power and gender in relation to emergencies and food and nutrition security.
• Explore the links between relief and development.
• Assess multi-stakeholder processes in relation to advocacy and change.
OUTLINE OF TOPICS TO BE COVERED IN THE PROGRAM
Module 1: Basic Concepts in Food and Nutrition Security Emergencies
• What is food and nutrition security?
• Causes and effects of food and nutrition emergencies
• Key concepts and current issues in nutrition
• Classification of disasters
• Preparedness for food and nutrition security emergencies
• Transition from food aid induced dependency towards building resilience and sustainable livelihoods
• Emergency food aid response and its significance
• Food system resilience and indicators
Module 2: Food Security Analysis Frameworks
• Comprehensive Food Security and Vulnerability Analysis (CFSVA),
• Emergency Food Security Assessment (EFSA)
• Joint Assessment Missions (JAM),
• Crop and Food Supply Missions (CFSAM)
• Nutritional surveys
Module 3: Data Collection and Analysis of Food and Nutrition Security
• Collecting food data from households
• Indicators of food and nutrition security
• Calculating indicators
• Using indicators of food and nutrition security
Module 4: GIS and Remote Sensing Application in Food and Nutrition Security Analysis
• Data collection
• Reporting food security information using GIS
• Food security early warning systems and disaster monitoring
• Population targeting with GIS and remote sensing
• Communicating food security information with GIS and remote sensing
Module 5: Food Aid and its Role in Nutrition Emergencies
• What is food aid?
• Major players in food aid
• Benefits and problems with food aid
• Link between relief and development: humanitarian, transitional and development food assistance
Module 6: Cross cutting issues in Maintaining Food and Nutrition Security in Emergencies
• Nutrition security and health
• Vulnerability of smallholder rural households to food insecurity
• Multi-stakeholder processes in relation to advocacy and change
• Participatory approaches to restore food security in emergencies
• Role of power, gender and the rural poor in food and nutrition security
• Role of ICT in responding to nutrition emergencies
• Monitoring and evaluation to enhance food security
EVENT FEE & REGISTRATION
The training event fee is USD$1050, This caters for Facilitation, 2 Refreshment breaks (Morning & Afternoon Snack) & Buffet Lunch during the entire training period. This does not cover accommodation and travel logistics. We can organize for your Accommodation & Airport pick up at an Extra cost.
To Register online for this course click on this link (REGISTER ONLINE) or click on this link for more details (MORE COURSE DETAILS)