The aim of this course is to provide both a solid theoretical understanding and a comprehensive practical introduction to the use of geographic information systems and remote sensing technologies for the analysis and solution of different water and environmental problems.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The course is designed for professionals (engineers and scientists) active in the water/environmental sector, especially those involved in planning and management of water systems as well as numerical modelling. Pre-requisites are a basic knowledge of computing and water related topics.
Upon completion, the participant should be able to:
- Gain a sound fundamental understanding of the GIS and remote sensing technologies
- To understand the basic principles underlying the GIS/model-based management of water resources and environment
- To become familiar with the GIS-based analytical and problem-solving techniques for sustainable planning and management of water resources and environmental problems.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
The course focuses on the analysis of digital spatial data, preparation for numerical modelling, presentation of modelling results and support to the decision making process. Some of the topics covered in the course include the following:
- Introduction to geographic information systems and remote sensing technologies,
- Active and passive remote sensing,
- Data structures,
- Map projections and coordinate systems,
- Processing of digital geographic information,
- Creation of digital elevation models,
- Mapping of water and environmental features,
- Watersheds, streams and aquifers delineation,
- Map Digitization,
- Soil and land use mapping,
- Watershed Analysis
- Map algebra,
- Terrain analysis for hydrological and hydraulic modelling,
- Presentation of modelling results,
- Analysis to generate new information and knowledge,
- Dissemination of new information and knowledge,
- GIS as a decision support tool.
EVENT FEE & REGISTRATION
The training event fee is USD$1050, This caters for Facilitation, 2 Refreshment breaks (Morning & Afternoon Snack) & Buffet Lunch during the entire training period. This does not cover accommodation and travel logistics. We can organize for your Accommodation & Airport pick up at an Extra cost.
To Register online for this course click on this link (REGISTER ONLINE) or click on this link for more details (MORE COURSE DETAILS)