Country Director, South Sudan
Location: Juba (with travel throughout the country)
Travel: 25-30% domestic, and some global travel
CMMB has been working in South Sudan for almost 10 years. CMMB works to ensure that the most vulnerable populations, especially mothers and children, have access to quality services in health care, health promotion and illness prevention. Our role of Country Director, South Sudan is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the CMMB South Sudan country portfolio. CMMB’s current portfolio in South Sudan includes: maternal and child health, CMMB’s CHAMPS programs, and a variety of HIV/AIDS focused programs, which are funded from bilateral and multilateral grants/contracts, contributions from private individuals and institutions, volunteers, and gifts-in-kind of medical supplies.
We are looking for a Country Director in South Sudan - an innovative thinker, and ready to empower staff to achieve CMMB’s strategic goals, and lead change initiatives to ensure CMMB maximizes its mission and vision. You will direct the implementation of all aspects of CMMB South Sudan’s programs, in partnership with the global staff of CMMB, ensuring the quality and impact of its health program in South Sudan. You are well-versed in office restructuring and able to oversee changes to program operations, finance, and human resources.
You will report directly to the Senior Vice President, Programs and Volunteers who is based in New York City, and you will also receive technical and other support from additional U.S.-based staff and teams. As CMMB’s representative in-country, you have overall responsibility and accountability for CMMB’s programs, finances, assets and legal standing in South Sudan.
• Lead the implementation of strategic initiatives and mentor staff and partners through organizational change.
• Foster the development of a country-level organizational culture, focusing on strategy execution, high impact programming, and accountability, as well as innovation, permanent learning and improvement.
• Cultivate and motivate staff with a culture of innovation, excellence, and continual learning and overall institutional improvement.
• Lead and model the central tenents of our mission in all aspects of institutional operation, from staff interactions to program implementation, and from partner collaborations to the treatment of beneficiaries.
• Develop partnership relationships and ensure we have good business intelligence related to funding opportunities and security management.
Programmatic and Technical Management
• Work closely with our CMMB USA office in developing and implementing CHAMPS sites in South Sudan, supporting their development with detailed proposals, ensuring high-quality program logic that can be feasibly delivered within proposed local context. This will also include maximizing integration with governmental, multilateral, and bilateral and other grant portfolios, as possible.
• Ensure that our CMMB-managed health programs have the appropriate technical staff to lead programmatic activities, overseeing program staff and providing technical and program management input, as appropriate.
• Coordinates with partners and leads and manages our in-country staff to ensure programs meet their project goals, objectives and targets.
• Ensure consistent program monitoring and evaluation activities, including necessary site visits, to measure and report, on a timely basis, project and program outcomes. Share success stories with CMMB globally for communications purposes.
• Manage volunteer placements and programmatic grants, as well as any pharmaceutical donations.
• Lead our overall CHAMPS implementation, project management, and monitoring and evaluation processes in South Sudan.
• Serve as Principal Investigator (PI) in projects where is requested.
Human Resources Management
• Support, encourage and help build up the capacity of the on-site program coordinators and managers.
• Provide leadership of all country operations, establishing a management team and reporting roles for needed levels of program and staff management.
• Ensure CMMB South Sudan operates with local labor requirements.
• Ensure the prudent use of donor resources, ensuring all expenditures comply with rules and regulations.
• With the assistance of the Finance Team, ensure all budgets are tracked consistently and financial reports are accurate and timely, and are consistent with donor requirements.
• Identify cost-savings, where feasible, and plan strategically for financial resource use.
You have at least 8-10 years’ management experience, including 5 years’ experience successfully managing donor grants achieving satisfactory donor evaluations. You have a university degree in public health or international development, and you may also have a Masters’ degree in a related field, which is desirable. You have excellent leadership and negotiation skills with experience in a conflict zone, such as in South Sudan. Experience with government agencies, NGO and civil society partners, is highly preferred.
Your superior technical knowledge of humanitarian efforts, emergency relief and/or health systems strengthening, maternal and child health, nutrition and water and sanitation in a range of contexts is what sets you apart. You have sound technical knowledge of leading public health issues in South Sudan, including anemia, malnourishment, and maternal and child health. Your track record of having senior-level experience in managing maternal and child health projects is excellent. A Community Based Rehabilitation is desired, as well as experience managing additional health systems projects.
You are a strategic thinker and at the same time you are analytical, results-oriented and have excellent prioritization and multi-tasking skills to work well while under pressure to meet deadlines. You have clear and systematic thinking and discipline in documentation that demonstrates good judgment, expert problem solving, and creativity. You also have good knowledge of financial systems and accounting.
You have proven results in business development, including partnership development and “investment” or grant making in the relief and/or development sector. You know how to deal with change, and present ideas that motivate staff to strive for increased mission success. You are interested and have experience in coaching and developing staff, you have the talent to gain the trust of others and foster collaboration relationships, and demonstrated ability to model team work behaviors and team building skills. You have an established track record of good business judgment and financial acumen, including respect for ethics and fiscal stewardship. You are aware of international nonprofit healthcare challenges, current issues and sources of technical support and partnerships
You believe in CMMB, where we’re going, and what we can do together to achieve Healthier Lives Worldwide.
How to apply
Visit our Careers page for more information, and apply by emailing us a cover letter and your resume/CV.
A message from Bruce Wilkinson, President and CEO of CMMB – Healthier Lives Worldwide
As President & CEO of CMMB, I would like to thank you for your interest in joining with us on our journey to bring healthier lives to women, children and their families worldwide. CMMB has embarked on our second century of service to the most marginalized. Our vision of a world in which every human life is valued, and health and human dignity are shared by all is at the core of who we are. We are always looking to join hands with experienced professionals who want to add their energy to our work, and are so pleased you are considering CMMB as your potential employer.
The position of Country Director, South Sudan is critical to our mission and vision. I welcome your interest in joining a diverse, talented, professional and motivated team.