JOB VACANCY: Wash Specialist (1 position)
AVSI Foundation is a global non-governmental organization with headquarters in Italy. Its mission is to support human development in developing countries according to the social teaching of the Catholic Church: recognizing the uniqueness of each person, who as such cannot be reduced to a number within an anonymous category such as “the poor, the sick, and the disabled”. Furthermore, every person and every community represent a resource, regardless of their vulnerability. This is why AVSI works to help people in becoming aware of their own value and dignity. AVSI is operating in South Sudan since 2005, implementing medium to long-term sustainable health, education, water & sanitation, food security and emergency relief programmes.
The organisation is now seeking to recruit suitable qualified South Sudanese nationals for the position of Wash Specialist.
Duty Station: Based in Torit, with regular visits on the field to Magwi County and Kapoeta State
The WASH Specialist ensures that water, sanitation, and hygiene project, and awareness are implemented effectively, professionally, and in accordance with the culture and practices of the refugee communities, government as well as according to WASH cluster and Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS)
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Ensuring quality and integrity of implementation, including adherence to technical guidelines, administrative systems, and established deadlines.
• Design; execute all the WASH and other construction related facilities / infrastructures in schools, community and institutions.
• Training community, Water User Committee, WASH clubs in schools and organize hygiene promotion campaign and competition.
• Assisting in the preparation of the WASH proposals.
• Preparing the activity plan and monitoring and evaluation system for the project
• Analyzing the baseline study data to determine the underlining needs of the beneficiaries
• Undertaking staff capacity building in hygiene promotion activities and conducting assessments.
• Contributing to contingency planning for possible WASH emergency response as may be required.
• Work closely with the local community to promote good hygiene and sanitation practices.
• Contributing to the preparation of internal and external reports for the NGO and donors, including expenditure plans and situation reports
• Representing the organization externally at cluster meetings and internally during coordination meetings
• Collaborating and coordinating with the government, NGOs, and UN agencies on WASH issues.
• Participating in State and National level WASH Cluster meetings and other relevant humanitarian coordination meetings.
• Ensuring that all relevant stakeholders have information about the organization’s background, program, objectives, working areas, duration of programs and activities in the field
• Promoting and reinforcing relationships with National technical authorities in WASH related intervention.
Qualification and skills required:
• Degree or in engineering, or relevant WatSan specializations.
• Diploma in above related filed with 2 years of experience in WASH in emergency context.
• Experience in implementing humanitarian programs.
• Being familiar with Auto Cad Software is a plus.
• Excellent written and oral English skills required
• Computer literacy (good command of excel and word)
• Must be able to work independently, with minimum supervision, within the context of a larger tea
How to Apply:
Applications should include updated nonrefundable Curriculum Vitae (CV), National ID and cover letter. In the cover letter (of no more than two pages in length) the candidate should briefly describe his or her motivation for the position and highlight relevant experience.
The above documents can be delivered to AVSI Office in the Country:
• AVSI Juba Office
• AVSI Torit Office
Or send in soft copy to Roberto.email@example.com OR
firstname.lastname@example.org, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
THE CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS IS September 14th 2017
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Due to the urgency of these roles, AVSI reserves the right to shortlist applications prior to the closing date.